With the increasing availability of flexible learning, access to post graduate studies is becoming more accessible for remote and rural allied health professionals. Postgraduate studies can be a great way to improve your knowledge and skills and develop your career. Just because you are remote and rural, doesn’t mean that you can’t undertake post-graduate studies. For many AHPs this is actually a great time to consider further studies, especially with access to remote and rural Scholarships & Grants.
There are many postgraduate courses that may be of interest to remote and rural allied health professionals. These include profession specific, program specific or remote and rural specific. Deciding which postgraduate course is best for you is very personal decision, guided by your interests and future career aspirations. Flexible learning also means that your choice of university is also extensive (you are not just limited to those in your back yard).
Loan schemes for postgraduate studies
The Australian Government’s Higher Education Loan Programme (HELP) includes the following loans for postgraduate studies:
- FEE-HELP which provides eligible fee-paying students with a loan to cover their tuition fees
- HECS-HELP which provides eligible students in a Commonwealth supported place with a loan to cover payment of their student contributions.
JASON is a postgraduate scholarship search engine. Scholarships in the database apply to Australian students wishing to study at home or abroad, and to international students wishing to study in Australia.
Also see Scholarships & Grants for scholarships specific to remote and rural allied health.
Post Graduate Studies & You
- Are you interested in post graduate studies (now or in the future)?
- What type of post graduate studies would you like to pursue?
- What areas are you interested in further developing your skills and knowledge?
- What type of course (face to face, intensive, flexible, online) is best for you? Think about how you learn.
- Are you able to make the time and financial commitment to post graduate studies?
The Good Universies Guide: Information for Post Graduate Students provides some useful information to help you answer the above questions.